Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
April 15, 2021
As you know, we recently created position a Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) position to lead the district into the next phase of our cultural competency and anti-racism work. Goals for the position include:
- to bring a diversity, equity, and anti-racist lens to every aspect of the functioning of the districts;
- to improve student experience, particularly for black and brown students;
- to provide faculty and staff with support on cultivating a school culture that is inclusive and elicits a sense of belonging for all students, families, and employees;
- to support all administrators in decision making;
- to be a resource for families and community members; and,
- to be a liaison with community groups and institutions on behalf of the school system.
I am very excited to announce that current METCO Director, Andrew Nyamekye, will serve as our Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion as of July 1, 2021. Mr. Nyakekye has a Master of Arts in Intercultural Relations and has strong connections with students, staff, and families. He often leads professional development in cultural competency and anti-racism education and is integral to the hiring processes for expanding diversity among the staff. We are anxious to have Mr. Nyamekye help us accomplish our goals of an inclusive, safe, and supportive learning environment for all students and their families.
The Districts will host a public session on Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 7 p.m. to introduce Mr. Nyamekye and discuss the future of this important work.
We also invite METCO families to join us on Wednesday, April 28 at 6 p.m. to dialogue about the search process for a new METCO Director with whom Mr. Nyamekye will work.
This position and Mr. Nyamekye bring a great energy and momentum for this work to come.